Papers requirments for catholic weddings at Castello di Meleto

Would you like to getting married in a church?

Castello di Meleto is the owner of a pretty church from the X century just 3 kms far from the Castle, which is call Pieve di Spaltenna that stands among bushes of lavender and roses in bloom.


This romanic church can accomodate up to 120 people seated inside.

spaltenna matrimonio

A Catholic wedding  in Italy requires specific paperwork to be provided before getting the authorization to get married in Italy.

Yearly we help tens of couples to get married in an Italian church and we do follow you step by step assisting with the local Curia and helping you with all required documents. Catholic weddings can be legally binding or just religious: legally binding also legal paperwork is required.

If legally binding please see for civil papers required : http://blog.castellomeleto.it/weddings/legal-requirements-for-civil-weddings-at-castello-di-meleto/

If you’re looking for a just religious ceremony please see below what you need to get :


1. Formal letter (NULLA OSTA) from your parish priest granting permission for the wedding to be performed in a specific church in Meleto.

This letter is required by the Italian Curia to show that you have received permission from your parish priest to have your wedding ceremony performed. It should certify that your priest knows you and allows you to get married at the Italian Church of XXXXXX at the date XXXXX. This letter needs to be written on the letterhead paper of your Parish.


2. Your priest should also secure a letter from the Bishop of the parish stating the same as in # 1 and this letter should also be written on letterhead.

The Bishop’s permission to the wedding is one of the most important requirements for the Italian Curia. It must certify that you have no impediment to get married at the Italian Church of XXXXXX (name of the church) at the date XXXXX (the date you are asking). This letter needs to be written on the letterhead paper of your Bishop’s office. This letter shows that approval has been given by the authority over the priest who has written the letter referred in # 1.


3. The letter from the priest must also state that you have fulfilled all PRE CANA procedures, and should include the certificate (if a certificate was done) showing that you attended the premarital classes.


4. The Original prenuptial inquiry form has to be issued by your parish and be on formal church letterhead of your Parish. The prenuptial inquiry form is not just the certificate but rather a type of signed questionnaire with church seals/signatures. Moreover this document must be stamped by the local Bishop’s office (NOT just your priest).

A PRENUPTIAL INQUIRY is issued by the archdiocese of your city/town. It is the prenuptial investigation that includes your dates, names and general religious data which your priest completes together with you. Your priest completes the questionnaire stating it has been approved so you can get married, signing the document as final approval. Then this document has to be sealed by your local Bishop, so the Italian Curia has the proof that it has been definitely approved by a higher member of the Catholic Church in your country.


5. ALL certificates of baptism, first communion and confirmation must be sent together with the Prenuptial inquiry form and letters mentioned in # 1, # 2 and must also be stamped by the local Bishop’s office.

All these sacraments have to be received in order to have the Catholic wedding performed. Ask your Parish who performed these sacraments to provide these certificates. If you have problems obtaining the originals, ask for copies that have to be sealed by your local bishop. The seals of the bishop, are required on these documents by the Italian Curia.


6. Original of the civil wedding certificate, (in event the Italian priest will not perform the civil part of the marriage the civil ceremony must be performed prior to the religious ceremony and that original certificate must be presented to the Italian priest) This would apply if you are not asking to be civilly married at the same wedding ceremony in Italy or in case that the Italian priest should not be able to do the civil and religious wedding together).

Determined on a case by case basis. In case you will receive the Catholic wedding and not the civil one at the Italian church you need to provide the civil wedding certificate. Please note: Not only the wedding licence but the original certificate that you are legally married.


7. If one of you are not Catholic you will be required to obtain another document such as “Permission of mixed religions” to testify that the wedding celebration can be performed by the Italian Church.

Generally this document is issued by the local Bishop of your country. Ask this information to your Parish, so they can help you to obtain this special permission.



Leave a reply